Friday, November 27, 2009

Long Ride Home.

On our way home. Had a great Thanksgiving.

It’s been a long day and I haven’t done much of anything besides listen to music and read a few books (Iowa is SO scenic!). Lately I’ve been listening to a lot (I mean a LOT) of Neil Young.

Neil Young you ask?

Yes, Neil Young.

I have literally burned through his music in the last few days. I’ve listened to Sugar Mountain dozens of times and Cinnamon Girl almost as much, as well as his ‘Harvest’ album. It hasn’t gotten old!, yet. I am currently watching ‘Rust Never Sleeps’ on my laptop as we approach home. It’s really great; the Ewoks, the lights, the music, the tuning fork, Neil, Crazy Horse…. Great. (If you’re REALLY bored you could watch it some night, otherwise just take my word for it.)

Sometimes I wonder why I like Neil Young… I think it’s a fair question… He’s not a Christian (to the best of my knowledge, but I guess I shouldn’t judge…), his songs are slightly depressing, his favorite topic to sing about is drugs, he doesn’t really encourage my walk with Jesus, and his lifestyle isn’t what you would call…righteous (unless you are a hippie, then it is righteous….). As my dad says, he sings like he’s had a sex change and ‘he has a lot of problems’ (Oh dad…, we ALL have a lot of problems!)And Neil young is ugly (I mean UGLY - NOT that ugliness affects your music).

But I really like his music, well…. most of it. I have decided to make a nice lyric compilation for those of you who know and love Neil Young as well as those that do not have the pleasure (?) of knowing who this man is. I’d like to call it:

‘Ode to Neil.’

Old man take a look at my life

I'm a lot like you

I need someone to love me the whole day through

A dreamer of pictures, I run in the night

You see us together, chasing the moonlight,

My cinnamon girl.

The drummer relaxes and waits between shows For his cinnamon girl.

There's a girl just down the aisle,

Oh, to turn and see her smile.

You can hear the words she wrote As you read the hidden note.

Come a little bit closer, Hear what I have to say

Just like children sleepin’, We could dream this night away.

You and I we were captured

We took our souls and we flew away

We were right we were giving

That's how we kept what we gave away

Oh, to live on Sugar Mountain

With the barkers and the colored balloons,

Because I'm still in love with you

I want to see you dance again

Because I'm still in love with you

On this harvest moon.

As much as I would enjoy going on and on with this I think I need to stop. It’s getting a little long and there isn’t much of a story line… But I think love is a good common theme. Maybe I’ll take up praying for Neil. He needs Jesus as much as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment