Monday, May 3, 2010

Chocolate


This morning in class there was a presentation on chocolate. I have never thought much about this tasty treat but this really shocked me and made me think.

This is David West, CEO of Hershey.



This is how he makes his profit.



Try to enjoy your Hershey bar now... Can't.
Knowing that children in slavery (literally they are children and they are actual slaves) are harvesting my cocoa beans in Africa so that I can have a few s'mores on Friday nights is not appealing to me.

Buying Fair Trade chocolate IS important. I didn't see just how important is was until this morning. Supporting Fair Trade products is always important. Coffee is the easiest product to find that is labeled Fair Trade. Just look for one of these signs
These labels are signs that the food you are eating have been grown and produced in a fair manner. Child labor laws were followed and workers were paid a fair price for their produce and treated fairly.

When buying Fair Trade chocolate your producer looks more like this
 than this


Treating people fairly is important. Were people abused for your candy bar? Know your food.

1 comment: