Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Running


Levi and I have been training for a half marathon. I feel like a fake saying that. I've never been much of a runner, biking has usually been my strength. Running intimidates me. I even backed out of a 5k at the last minute last summer and made my little brother take my place. That's how much I try to avoid running. Usually at the end of runs my feet are in pain, my lungs feel like they have all but collapsed, and I usually have a headache. My feet have issues. In college there would be mornings I would get up, after having soccer practice or going on a 1-2 mile run the night before, and literally hobble all the way to class my feet hurt so bad. Not an enjoyable experience! Which lead to my avoidance of running.

While Levi was gone at BMT I started running a little (helped with stress and kept me occupied), not paying attention to time or distance and toyed with the idea of a half marathon. When I moved down to Mississippi I kept up the running and then Levi and I started running together in the evenings. I'm pretty slow but Levi has been such an encouragement. He doesn't complain about the slow pace and always cheers me on. What a great guy! So then when we moved to Texas we started following Hal Higdon's training plan. By follow a training plan I mean we usually run 3-4 times a week and go to the gym twice, in no particular order. We treat the training plan as a guideline. 

My feet haven't had a really bad day yet (knock on wood). Sometimes they're a little sore but nothing serious. My breathing has gotten better, I've noticed that somedays my breathing is fine and other days I'm choking to death on phlegm. I'm going to do research on that. I'm also going to do more research on feet and running health. Levi has started doing research on minimalist running so we'll see where that takes us! 

1 comment: